Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Books: the Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

Summary: Every gift has a price . . .

Every piece of lace has a secret . . .

My name is Towner Whitney. No, that’s not exactly true. My real first name is Sophya. Never believe me. I lie all the time. . . 

Towner Whitney, the self-confessed unreliable narrator of The Lace Reader, hails from a family of Salem women who can read the future in the patterns in lace, and who have guarded a history of secrets going back generations, but the disappearance of two women brings Towner home to Salem and the truth about the death of her twin sister to light.

The Lace Reader is Brunonia Barry’s first novel, published in 2006, and is a New York Times Bestseller. There is just so much to say about The Lace Reader that I’m sure I won’t do it justice. The writing is spectacular, the storyline is incredible, and the characters are just so well-developed. The characters in this book are so memorable -- all of them, not just one or two. The the story and characters in The Lace Reader have stayed with me for days! Probably one of the most memorable characters that I have “met” in recent years is Towner, the story’s narrator. I loved that she begins the book by admitting that she lies all the time. It made me question so much of the story. I can’t tell you any more of the story, (although I can share a few key words:  lace that tells the future, secrets, witches, romance, an old house, tunnels, dogs, the sea...) so you will just have to read it for yourself. This book has definitely earned a spot on my heart, pick it up, read it this summer and enjoy the magic!

Pick up the Lace Reader this summer and enjoy the magic!

The descriptions of lace in this book are so beautiful, lace can be found in so many objects

No comments:

Post a Comment